Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The other girl

You know those little things you avoid talking about because bringing up that subject always ends in disagreements? (ie: I don't talk to my husband for hours...yep, that's me, totally passive-agressive)

That 800 pound gorilla sitting in the room?

The thing that you can't seem to discuss without getting frustrated?

*hand raised real high*

Yeah.

We have one subject that we tiptoe around.

Her name is Silvia.

Todd talks about her every once in awhile, shows pictures of them when they were younger, smiles as he remembers all the wonderful times they had together. She was there for him in high school and college, he even moved her to Seattle when he got a job up here. She was perhaps his first love. I think our best man's toast was more about her than me.

In the years that we dated, Todd started spending less time with her, and she eventually just sat by and stayed mostly out of the way. Never made a move to win back the title of his favorite girl.

But I know she's still around. Sometimes he even reminds me just how close Silvia and I are in his ranking of favorite things. Thankfully I always rank just a wee bit above her.

Oh yeah, Silvia is a car.

You may think "Its just a car, why get so irrational over it?" Ah, yes, excellent question.

But to fully explain this, I'd have to go back in time to when my Dad began collecting his cars (no time for that- it would take an entire book to tell about all of his cars). And then my brother followed in his footsteps. I've seen the stress it causes my mother and sister-in-law. I never wanted that for myself.

But sometimes, things work out in ways you never wished for. I fell in love with a man who loves cars. Just like the other two favorite men in my life.

*sigh*

I suppose I could learn to love Silvia if I'd have the chance to actually go for a ride in her or drive her somewhere, but instead she has been locked in a storage unit for the past several years. Gathering mold. Going nowhere. She has no seats. No battery. And her rent is not cheap. I liken it to flushing your money down the toilet every month. What is the use in having a car that doesn't run? Why not get rid of it? Touchy subject indeed.

This past weekend, much to my delight, we put Silvia on a trailer and hauled her off to Idaho where she can be close to her grandparents.


We can go visit her whenever we want, which makes Todd happy. And we're paying 75% less each month for storage, which makes me happy. Perhaps we can put that money to good use and get her some parts.

And sell her. Muahahahahaaa!

I kid, I kid. I know how much he loves her. And as long as he loves me more, I'm fine if they stay friends and keep in touch every once in awhile..

3 comments:

Shawn said...

Freaking HILAROUS!!! You're a good sport!
mindy

Unknown said...

Through the early years of my marriage, I still had incredible sentimental feelings for my car(s). Not as bad as when I was single, but I had a definite feeling for my favorite vehicle at the time, which I didn't exactly drive...(it was more like I wore it like a familiar pair of jeans)...it was part of my body and my very being.

It sounds weird, but my young and very cute wife didn't entirely cure me of this CRUSH that I had, but it was cured entirely when we had our first child. Cars were just not that important, anymore. In fact, they became appliances, (even though I've always subscribed to Car & Driver Magazine all of these years).

Now that my kids have moved out and we are "Empty Nesters," I've actually once again started up a relationship to a car. And this time it's not a high-revving, fast-cornering sporty thing...it's my appliance-shaped Honda Element.

I've driven it on 4500 mile road trips with my son. I load it up with race aid station stuff, and haul it to the middle of nowhere. Heck, even my (late) dog liked to drive it. I like to sleep in the back of it at races.
And it even started wearing trail shoes!

But you notice I still it by "it" and not by the term "she." I've matured enough to know better (around my wife, anyway).

Happy trails,
Bad Ben

Unknown said...

Katie you are hilarious!!! I totally thought I was learning about some hidden secret dirt about Todd's past love life...