Monday, October 27, 2008

Flashback Monday Funday

As I was running by the UW football stadium on Saturday morning, the air was permeated with the smells of bacon and the enthusiastic cheers and laughs of college students who sacrificed sleep for tailgating time.

It made me nostalgic for my days of college football tailgating. While I don't miss it so much that I want to be out drinking beer and eating burgers with them, it did make me remember all the great memories I made with friends and fellow Wildcat fans during my 4.5 years at K-State. Tailgating was an important part of my college days-- behavior I'll never go back to-- but something I have such fond memories of.

I especially recalled the morning several of us woke up at 4:30 am (unheard of for normal college students) to walk to the stadium and wait for an hour behind the barricades......sprint to the stadium gates.....stampede down the stairs to get prime spots....and then wait another 2 or 3 hours for the live broadcast of ESPN's College Gameday from Manhattan, KS to begin. (yeah, this was back when our team was ranked in the Top 10...not so much the case in recent years)

I'm pretty sure my friends and I never got on tv, but who cares? We were part of a faithful following of crazy fans who devoted our Saturdays to supporting our team.

I went back through my photo albums for some good memories.

Freshman year tailgating before the 2000 Big 12 Championship vs. OU.




I was a cheerleader at heart. But I was too tall and about 30 pounds too heavy to make the real squad.



Junior year tailgating with girlfriends.


One of my senior years :) with my brother in his notorious I Eta Pi gameday apparel.



Hard to believe some of those were 8 years ago.

Eat 'em up, beat 'em up, K-S-U!

1 comment:

mouse said...

Josh and I were just talking about Big 12 football the other day (mostly about how I think having two divisions totally skews rankings, since most of the good teams seem to be in the south and KU only plays them every other year) and he was telling me about how K-State used to dominate back in the day. funny you should write about it, too!