Friday, October 10, 2008

a glimmer of hope

If there's one thing I never understood about my husband (hmmm...still feels a little weird calling him that), it is his odd eating preferences. Or, mostly his dislikes. Seafood, tomatoes, mushrooms, feta cheese, etc....and STRAWBERRIES!??!

*GASP!*

I'm the strawberry girl, after all! My birth announcements were strawberries that said 'its strawberry season and we picked a sweet one'.

awwwwwww.....how cute is that?

They've always been my #1 favorite food, and to find out recently that he's "not too fond of strawberries" was a major shock to my system and everything I've ever believed. God really led me to marry this man??

But learning his eating habits, I've realized how fortunate I was growing up.

My grandpa and dad would take us fishing and we'd clean and fry up that day's catch. Catching a fish with caviar (not the fancy expensive type, mind you, this was pond fish) was a special treat and my brother and I would fight over the little yellow egg packets. My grandparents were all farmers and gardeners so fresh veggies and fruits were what we ate on a daily basis. We prepped for the winters by canning and freezing the summer's produce.

At the time, I thought it was such a pain to have to pick the corn, shuck the corn, clean the corn, cook the corn, can the corn, freeze the corn....now I miss that.

My mom always did such a great job of fixing meals with a wide variety of ingredients and flavors, giving us a varied, well developed flavor palate. Plus, if I didn't eat my food, my brother would scarf it down and there was no peanut butter and jelly sandwich waiting for me instead.


Back to my original point....my seafood disliking husband. This has been an ongoing struggle for me since we've lived in the same city and I've been cooking for us. We are blessed to live in one of the best places to get fresh seafood in the world. Even so, we don't frequent many seafood restaurants, except on special occasions or when friends/family come to town.

I make this sacrifice in hopes that some day he'll realize he loves seafood. I leave my sushi eating to going out with friends. Besides, I can find some decent seafood in restaurants where he can have his chicken and beef. It's not always so easy the other way around.

I've been limited on what I cook for dinners. No tomato based products either (this is equally as difficult....i LOVE my parents' garden grow cherry tomatoes, those things are like candy to me).

Well yesterday I didn't feel like having chicken again. Didn't want to walk to the grocery store in the rain. But I did have some frozen Tilapia I'd picked up at Trader Joe's awhile back. I'd mostly intended to save it for when we're not able to eat dinner together, then I'd make it for myself.

Should I make fish? This was my dilemma for awhile and when he called me, I tiptoed around how to tell him I was thinking of making fish for dinner.

"I'm wondering if you..."
"What if I make, um..."

Oh for goodness sakes, he's your husband, he can eat it or make his own food!

"Is it okay if I make fish for dinner tonight?"

"Yeah hun, that sounds good."

What a sweetheart :) I love him.

I made fish. It was delicious. And he even said he liked it.

There's a bright glimmer of hope even in the darkest places....

1 comment:

Jmeg said...

such a sweet ending...confession, i am not a big fan of strawberries either.