Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Blister Sisters

Well, my shins are feeling better. That's the GOOD NEWS. I bought new shoes, and that helped immensely. well, duh....since the ones i was running in had quite a bit of miles logged on them. For Saturday's 8-mile run, the shins were a little sore, but just for the first mile and then the uncomfortableness disappeared. And then....BAD NEWS....at mile 3, i felt a burning, rubbing, chafing sensation on my left foot, in the inner arch. and then, at mile 3.1, i felt a burning, rubbing, chafing sensation on my right foot, in the inner arch.


SERIOUSLY?!?! Blisters?! Ok, i really could've prevented this from happening. All my socks that i usually wear were in the dirty laundry, so i grabbed the first pair of clean socks i saw in my drawer. Very thin, moisture wicking with some weird type of textured material. Bad idea. Basically what happened was that they were rubbing my skin raw.


But i had no bandages with me and i still had over 4 miles left to go. No way was i turning back, not with my half marathon a week away. yes, i could injure myself so that i wouldn't even be able to run, but did i think about that? no. i was concerned with getting my mileage in. Ah yes, behold the mind of a runner.


So, what to do......what to do?


I ran past a tree with shiny, round leaves. "Ah ha! Eureka!" I grabbed a couple leaves, stopped at the 4 mile turnaround point, took off my shoes and socks (OWWWW!), and put them over both Half-Dollar size blisters.


Well, it wasn't the greatest thing I could've done, but i made do with what i had and it at least helped the rubbing stop. good, at least my feet won't be worn down to the bone by the time i finish.


I ran the last 3 miles with Josh and he helped me run a good pace (probably not so good of a pace for him). We even saw some cows, and horses, and donkeys, and llamas. Ya-mas!


Since then, i've been nursing my two HUGE blisters back to health so that i can run the half marathon on saturday. And thanks, mom, for your daily calls of concern and nursing advice. (She also told me "maybe you just shouldn't run". Yeah, ok. Good one. ha.)


My feet aren't pretty, but they're slowing healing and hopefully will be ready for saturday's half.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

they're like the size of grapefruits! gross!

:)

miles says meow.

Josh Dysart said...

Does that thing have it's own zip code? Wow, I had no idea...

Iron Jayhawk said...

Holy Cow.

That's ridiculous!!! Have you lanced that sucker yet???

I'm cheering for ya this weekend. You'll do great :)

kaddie said...

that's cool man! if i were you, i'd make todd come and lick them till they healed! ha.

so...i'm expecting an entry about the half-marathon, which according to my calculations, you should've been done with about 7 hours ago. so, come on sister, get with it! :) i miss you..and your feet.