Thursday, October 26, 2006

lessons learned

I realized some things tonight during my run.


1. when i don't run, i don't blog.


2. when i don't run my long runs with teammates, it is not a good run.


3. i think it's a good idea that i blog more about non-running activities.


4. my boyfriend is super cool.


So, i haven't blogged for awhile. Why? (See realization #1.) Ok, well that's not completely true, i have been running. But something hasn't been feeling right during my runs. Last week, i got up on friday to run 8 miles before i left for Dallas and despite the cool, sunny morning, after 2 miles I was reading to stop. So i turned around and headed back home. My legs felt as though they were weighted with bricks. 5 ton bricks. I stopped after 4 miles because i was dead tired. Seriously? 4 miles? Why? (See realization #2.)


I headed to The Big D where I met The Todd. Feeling guilty about my 4 mile run the day before (and knowing that i'd be eating wedding cake), i headed to the hotel gym Saturday morning to bike and run on the treadmill. 2 miles. And that was forcing it. I'm not sure what's wrong, i've just been lethargic, my legs don't want to run. I have two (relatively) good legs, why won't they just do their job?


All that whining aside, the weekend was a blast. (See realization #3) The wedding and reception were lovely and done in big Texas style downtown. They had a dance and BBQ later that evening at a ranch in Terrell. Now, i'm not a fan of country music, but I had a rootin' scootin' grand ol' time two-stepping. We spent some time at the JFK memorial on Sunday, then headed to the Galleria for lunch and shopping.


Since todd was feeling a little ill (probably due to my 'ooohing and aahhing' over shoes and purses), and i (shockingly) didn't feel like shopping, we headed to the airport 3 hours early. We spent the rest of the afternoon having escalator races and riding the tram around and around the terminals. fun times indeed. he always makes me laugh and feel like a kid again. (See realization #4) Oh, and he got a new position at Microsoft as a software developer. Which, in my opinion, is like 1,000 times cooler than his previous job as a software tester. I still don't understand 95% of what he does, but that's why having a pretty smile and nodding like you understand, saying 'mmhmm, yeah' is a good tactic.


No need to fear about my crappy runs, i think all it took was some rainy, mild weather and an evening run tonight to rekindle my love with running. 4 miles in 32:40, 8:10 pace. Felt really, really great.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey, I'm proud of you if you run 40 miles, 4, or 1/40th. But it makes me happy when you run more because it makes you happy.

Also, I had an absolute blast with you this weekend.

Iron Jayhawk said...

Maybe your legs are punishing you for spending so many years in aggieville?

okay.

i keed, i keed...

But it does sound like you have one rockin' super awesome boyfriend! We've all had the days of lead legs...and this too shall pass. I'm excited for your awesome pace...I'm looking forward to the day where I can be as swift as you!