Monday, April 07, 2008

I'm not so sweet anymore

I'm giving myself a new challenge. It's part mental, part health-related.

I've decided to go a month without ingesting any artifical sweeteners. I've been known to carry around packets of Splenda with me, but I've been cutting back on my intake recently. And when I had some in my coffee yesterday, I realized what people mean when they say it leaves a 'chemical-like' taste. Plus, with all the possible medical side effects, I figure I might as well cut myself off now.

This means no diet soft drinks, no Splenda in my coffee.

In fact, I found a list of possible 'no' foods: Soft drinks, vitamin & herb supplements, yogurt, instant breakfasts, candy, breath mints, cereals, sugar-free chewing gum, cocoa mixes, coffee beverages, instant breakfasts, gelatin desserts, frozen desserts, juice beverages, laxatives, milk drinks, shake mixes, tabletop sweeteners, tea beverages, instant teas and coffees, topping mixes, wine coolers, etc.

Hmmm...perhaps I haven't thought this fully through. I'm fine with no diet soda and no Splenda, but....No gum?!! No sugar-free Jell-O? No more of my favorite yogurt?

I do like that this presents a definite challenge for me. I'll just have to be more aware of what I buy and I'll have to eat the real versions of certain foods. Because when you think about it, artificial sweeteners just make our foods fake. Not how God intended it.

I started my challenge today and I'm aiming for one month of non-sweetener life*. This could either be a good month— improving my health, eating more natural foods, etc. Or, this could be a bad month— bad breath, crankiness, weight gain....this list goes on and on.

I'm hoping it's the former.


*This does not include meals I can't control: eating out at restaurants and/or not knowing what specific ingredients are in foods.

2 comments:

Jmeg said...

i fully support this. i joke around that splenda causes cancer. but as you pointed out. it is fake and cant possibly do good. can it?

mouse said...

after the past two weeks, I am determined to do everything in my power to make sure my (future) children don't have to lose their parents at a young age. I use splenda on a daily basis, but I'm going to work to eliminate that, as well as all the other "fake" stuff. no use in tempting fate over a few measly calories.