Wednesday, July 26, 2006

i ran.

i am RUN RUN kitkat again (well, kinda.)
what do you want to hear first..... good news or bad news? normally, i like to hear the bad news first, but it's easier to tell my story with good news first.

GOOD NEWS: monday night, i was feeling very antsy to get outside and run, so i went to the gym first and biked, came home and strapped on my Forerunner.
it still read 6:04:29....25.4 mi.....3640 calories. and i smiled as i thought about how my Forerunner must've given up during the marathon before i even did.

i started walking to go pick up the dog and as i came to the top of the hill at 75th & Mission, i decided that i might as well start running on the downhill.

ok, here we go....... this is it......omg, i'm running!!!!!

i was worried about my leg hurting, but as i kept running, it felt great. and it was kinda weird, because the last time i ran i was in such severe pain, and now running without pain felt very odd to me. i was expecting the pain to come shooting through my shin, but it didn't. so i kept running. and smiling. and i remembered how much i love running.

i had planned on running about 1/2 mile and then walking the rest of the way just to be cautious and not reinjure something. but as i jogged along down a tree covered street, i looked around and enjoyed what was happening, so i kept jogging. i was all smiles, all "look at me, i'm running!!" and as i got to my cousin's house, i looked at my distance and it was 0.85 so i figured i might as well keep going to a mile.

1 mile. 10:12. boo-yah. nicely done, katie.

BAD NEWS: softball game tuesday night. let's see how this goes.

i hit a long one to the outfield and as i was running to third base, i realized that i'd have to slide or else be out. so i slid.......and was called out anyway. but i didn't care, i got an RBI and i actually RAN the bases.

yeah, ok, so maybe i like to think that i can now run as fast as i did pre-injury. this apparently is not the case.

but i felt fine. it was playing second base that really made me second guess my decision to play. and it wasn't even my shin that was hurting. the problems i had with my knee before the marathon resurfaced with the sudden movements of chasing grounders.

ahhahaha, i say 'chasing grounders' like i was able to stop them and make a good play, but truth is, they either went right between my legs or flew by me. needless to say, i did not have a good game in the field. i was hesitant to make any sudden movements and risk hurting my knee more.

i'm not sure what is wrong with the knee, it's a dull pain in the back of my knee, like the tendonitis i had at the first part of the marathon. i've iced, i've ibuprofened and it still throbs. so we'll see what happens, we have another game tonight and i've nominated myself to be designated hitter or just keep the bench warm. and i think i'll not run until saturday morning when i (try to) get up early and meet at 6 a.m. for the TNT run. It's a scheduled 16 miler, but i'm planning on a 1.06 miler.

Good News is i can run now and my shin doesn't hurt. Bad News is my knee does.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) I'm proud of you that you ran. You knew you were ready. I knew you were ready. Next time tell you should check with your knee first though.

Iron Jayhawk said...

Great job sweetie!! :) And it's all about warming that bench for me...so rest up and have a rocking run this weekend!

Kevin said...

I know what you mean about softball and knee pains. My right knee always hurt when I ran the bases in softball. That is part of the reason I gave it up and switched to kickball.

But it is good to hear you are back running again.

And pain-free, too.

walchka said...

What great news! You'll be back grinding out the longer mileage in no time.

Josh Dysart said...

Congratulations and welcome back! remember to take it easy ... at least for a while.