Monday, June 19, 2006

Desire vs. Reason

I wrote down this quote awhile back and recently came across it. I don't know who said it or where i found it, but I feel like it sums up my marathon pretty well:
A Marathon is about the triumph of desire over reason.


My urge to finish the marathon wiped out any sense of 'oh, maybe i should stop before i cause permanent damage to my body'. And i've been reminded by so many people since my marathon that what i went through in order to finish was a great accomplishment. I guess that's true. Sometimes though, i find myself thinking it was also very stupid of me to keep going despite my injuries.

Stupid crutches....they just keep getting in my way and interfering with my normal life. I want to throw them away. Lucky runners......i see people outside running, walking, enjoying the outdoors and it makes me incredibly jealous. even sad. Thank goodness for the painkillers....they've been good to me.

But I'm getting stir crazy. I'm restless. The gym misses me. The softball field misses me. My running shoes miss me. It's summer, and i'm on crutches. I wake up on Saturday mornings, wishing i were out on the trail with fellow runners, sweating through the heat. I used to wish i could sleep in on those mornings, and now i have the strongest desire to wake up at 5:30 am and go run. Those extra hours of sleep are SO not worth it. I miss the satisfaction from finishing a long run. I miss the feeling of 'only 12...10...8... miles left to go'. I even miss the feeling of utter exhaustion and not wanting to go another step.

2 weeks of recovery down.....? weeks to go.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Awwww...this post was very heartfelt. Hang in there, Katie. You are a strong athlete and you'll make it through.

walchka said...

What a great quote! Your body just needs a little more rest and then you'll be at it again. Just think of this recovery as another part of your training. It might be hard, but it's necessary.

Josh Dysart said...

I know how you feel Katie. But just relax and give yourself some time to completely heal. You'll be back before you know it.

Stephanie said...

Come back to blogland, my friend! :)