Friday, June 20, 2008

Fight it

plantar fasciitis. ugh.

It started hurting last Friday, but already by Saturday I was itching to go for a long run. I figured I’d just step out for a mile or two and see how it felt. The first four miles were me running on my right forefoot, avoiding pressure on the heel. Yes, I ‘tested it out’ for FOUR miles...but it didn’t hurt while I was running so I kept going. And then, factor in the lovely day and pain free running, I decided to go another four miles and bump up my total to eight.

Part of this decision had to do with me having my bridal gown fitting that evening. But part of me wanted to keep increasing my long run mileage.

That I did.

And come Sunday morning, I was majorly regretting it. (one would think that with all the lower extremity running injuries I’ve had, I would learn sooner rather than later that it takes rest to heal....unless you know how stubborn I am. Then it makes perfect sense why I ran.)

Although, I don’t think that running two miles or eight miles would’ve made much of a difference in the pain level. It flat out hurt. I stood on one foot or leaned on Todd during church and scooted around on a shopping cart at Target, but most of the day was spent trying to avoid putting any pressure on it.

And no, I haven’t gone to the doctor. I told myself that I would not run on it the rest of the week, then I’d see how it is on Saturday.

While I feel like my 8 mile long run is now a waste, I do want my foot to heal so I decided to experience some new alternative workouts to running. I went to yoga and kickbox/bootcamp classes this week that made my muscles the sorest they’ve been in a long time. Love that feeling!

Now, it's up to me to decide whether or not to restrain myself from running this weekend.....but it's supposed to be really nice out....must. fight. the. urge.

No comments: