Sunday, March 09, 2008

....she was a showgirl

It's been awhile since I've posted about our Thursday Night Dinner Club outings, but with guests in town and conflicting schedules, we took a short hiatus. Well, we're back and we've gradually morphed into Friday Night Dinner Club– due to 50% of the club wanting to watch 'Lost' now that new episodes are airing (we are the other 50%). As a result, a fairly unanimous decision was made to change TNDC to FNDC (and by 'fairly unanimous', i mean that Aubrey and I made an executive decision without consulting Ryan and Todd).

This week's FNDC took us to Lola, a Greek-inspired restaurant that uses locally grown ingredients. Normally, it would be a bit out of our price range but being married to/dating Microsoft employees does have its occasional advantages– this time in the form of the Prime Card, which gives you a 'Buy one entree, get the second free' deal at numerous area restaurants, Lola being one of them. It's practically our only chance to eating fancy.

The Oregon Pinot Gris was yummy, and since Greek food is practically my favorite cuisine, I figured anything I ordered would be excellent. Lamb, hummus, feta, olives, scallops...those are like the best foods ever! I LOVE lamb and don't ever order steak (or even eat it more than maybe once a month), but the Washington Hanger Steak reeled me in and boy was it succulent! I would totally go back again, but I'm not sure that Todd would if it weren't for the Prime Card savings, since most of the menu is lamb, goat and seafood dishes. It's my ongoing struggle to get him to branch out and try foods other than chicken, cheese and coffee.

The one downside to eating at Lola? For the entire evening and most of the following day, I had Barry Manilow's Copacabana lyrics dancing through my head....

Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl
With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there....


And now hopefully you have it in your head too. You're welcome. :)

No comments: