Monday, August 07, 2006

Humidity Stupidity

AAAaaaaaaaaargh. this stupid, stupid weather is stupid, stupid, stupid. i guess i can be thankful that i'm still recovering from my injury and my mileage is not up in the double digits, but still, it makes it really hard to motivate myself to even run a short distance.

regardless, i had a pretty good week of running since my last post. it's all about quality, not quantity.

on wednesday, i was already at the gym and figured, hey why not revisit my old friend mr. treadmill? so we had a good reunion of 2 miles together. despite being in a gym that felt like a sauna, the run felt great.

friday, got off work at noon so i went to the gym, but just couldn't bring myself to run on the treadmill again so i went to the trail and ran 2.5 miles. (well, actually 2.65) aside from the afternoon heat that nearly killed me, my legs felt great. i decided to reward myself with some tasty Smoothie King since i didn't end up passed out in the grass. mmmmm, i should do that more often. i've discovered that i just need to keep my right knee moving once i've finished running, otherwise it gets tight and painful. stretch, stretch, walk like an ostrich, stretch some more.

saturday, i had a little bit of trouble with my alarm again and woke up at 5:45. not good, since i was supposed to be at the TNT run at 6:00 and it's about a 25 minute drive from my house. i don't think i've ever gotten dressed faster than i did that morning. granted, it does make it easy when no one cares if you show up looking like you'd be better off with a paper bag over your face.

(note to self: in the future, please print off the directions to your destination instead of trying to use your internal GPS to guide you there.)

i got a little lost since it was my first time to meet at Shawnee Mission Park and i thought i knew a quicker back road to get there. wrong. by the time i arrived, the only people in sight were some fisherman and they just looked at me like i was lost. i had no idea which direction to run, so i just headed off and decided to run until the Forerunner said 3 miles. it felt good to run along the lake, to help combat the mugginess but the hills were not too gentle on my knee. (and by 'hills', i mean slight inclines. it's a good thing i didn't run the planned route because those large hills would've destroyed me)

i finished up at 3.25 miles and manned the water station for the next hour or so, which was lots of fun and made me extremely admire those who ran the hilly 8 miles and came back so sweaty they looked like they'd been hanging out in a car wash.

i rested on sunday and ran a quick 2.25 miles this morning, making it home just before it started downpouring. counting this morning's run, i'm looking to put in around 12 miles this week. hopefully the temperature drops, otherwise i'll be spending some quality time on the treadmill.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmm....smoothie king! That's like the best place ever.

Iron Jayhawk said...

Awesome job!

You'll be pulling double digits again before you know it!

Anonymous said...

Your determination always amazes me, Kitkat. Way to go. :)

walchka said...

"internal GPS" what a great line. Congrats on all the miles you were able to get in. Even a bunch of short runs start to add up in a hurry.