Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Seattle Awesupertacular

Seattle was awesome. super. spectacular. Therefore, i have created a new word to describe it. Awesupertacular. that pretty much sums it up. Since my visit in July was filled with touristy excitement, we decided to just hang out and relax more this time.

I finally got to sleep in on saturday, something i haven't done in a long time. The Todd (as he has been deemed by a co-worker of mine) dropped me off at the Lake Sammamish trail around 11 and i headed off on my six-miler. I really didn't have any idea where my final destination was, so i just decided to run until i hit 6.0 or until i ran out of trail and into the lake. which actually.....that wouldn't have felt too bad. It was a pleasant 73ish degrees during my run, but when the trail emerged from the cover of the trees, the sun was blazing down on me and i really wanted to jump in the water.

The trail was flat, soft gravel and ran all along the east side of the lake, next to the endless row of lake houses and docks. At this time of morning, there were hundreds of boats already out on the lake and it really made me want to waterski. It made me miss the summers growing up, spending every weekend at the lake, trying to perfect my slaloming skills. I need to get a friend with a boat..............my mind is wandering....
It was such an incredible view and my shins/knees felt great, i think i could've kept going. But that Seattle sun was pretty hot and i called The Todd to meet me at a rendevous point. Great run.
6.15 miles. 54:35 min. 8:52 pace

My knee was a little sore once i stopped running, but i think the Glucosamine actually might be making it somewhat better. *probably the placebo effect*

The rest of my stay in Seattle was spent doing some shopping, meeting some of Todd's friends out for his birthday dinner on Lake Union, running around downtown on the Harbor Steps... Oddly, i didn't take many pictures, which is weird because usually i'm a photo-fanatic. I really wish i would've taken a camera with me when i did my saturday morning run or at the lakefront dinner. better luck next time... I still have yet to see a single drop of precipitation during my times in Seattle. I was actually a little bit disappointed about that, but can't complain because i'm sure i'll be begging for sunny days once the rainy season starts.

It was difficult to leave Todd and come back to kansas. I think it gets harder to say goodbye each time. Also frustrating is that i haven't been able to run since saturday. most of monday was spent at airports/in flight, and yesterday i was looking forward to helping out at the Team in Training Kick-off meeting but i had to make an emergency trip back home to see my grandma. Her heart is slowly giving out on her, so all 6 of her children and several of us grandchildren were there to say our 'Goodnights' and now i guess we're just waiting for God to take her to an eternal rest. It's been a harried week thus far and not looking to get any better.

What day is it today anyway? Wednesday?? It's my only obligation-free night for awhile so I'm hoping to get a 3 mile run in and maybe go to the gym, but I haven't unpacked, laundry is piling up, Project Runway is on tonight and my energy level is just hovering above zero, so i'm not sure if that will happen.

1 comment:

Josh Dysart said...

No, the gluc really does work! Glad to hear that you had a good run.

And I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. You should skip the run Sat. You've definitely had a long week and deserve the break.