Monday, May 15, 2006

Just keep running....just keep running....

The big two-two loomed ahead of me on saturday morning. will my legs survive? will i crumble in pain? can i really run 22 miles?

i made sure to set two alarms for 5:15, because i could think of nothing worse than oversleeping and having to run 22 miles all by my lonesome. i made it to the Team meeting location and we headed off on our last long run before the marathon, 11 miles out and 11 miles back. we started out on concrete sidewalk, which made me concerned for the well-being of my precious legs, but soon we were on the trail and i was happy. my legs were happy. i was enjoying being out there with my teammates, all of us working towards conquering this final training hurdle. and we couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day to spend 3+ hours running around Overland Park & Leawood.

i settled into a comfortable pace with rob, katie & gina. it definitely helps to have someone keep pace with you. i have a slight tendency to pick up my pace when i'm feeling good, so i had to keep in mind that i still had 20, 18, 16....miles left. the first half of the run felt relatively great. the shins were hurting a tad, but nothing unbearable. i slathered on some Biofreeze somewhere around miles 6 & 9. that helped a lot, and i reminded myself to be sure I carry some packets in San Diego. After what seemed like we pretty much ran to Oklahoma, we turned around for the second half.

Except, wait, that was only 10.5 miles. Koach Karl said it wasn't exactly 11, but i was hoping he overestimated instead of underestimated. More Biofreeze, more Gu, and for the first time in all my long runs, I had to make a pitstop. Fortunately, there was a bathroom by the ballfields and i avoided having to use a dreaded port-a-potty. I got separated from my group, so i just picked up my pace a bit, turned up my ipod and...

Risin' up, back on the street
Did my time, took my chances
Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
Just a man and his will to survive
It's the eye of the tiger
..............nothing like a little Rocky motivation to keep me going and catch me back up to my teammates.

Except for some very long uphills, the rest of the run went pretty well. My legs felt good, and then....new socks = big blister on big toe at mile 18. oh wait, i was wrong. new socks = 2 blisters on big toe at mile 18. well, better now than during my marathon, i suppose. Now, normally when i know that i only have two miles left, i feel happy, but not on this run. The very daunting and large hill just before our finish was AWFUL. just AWFUL. Several teammates were there cheering us on, which really helped, but then we got to the top. Looked at our mileage and it read 20.85........what?!? Koach definitely undercalculated the mileage, so we spent the next mile+ running around the parking lot, looking like disoriented vagrants.

But I made it!!! 22 miles. done. My muscles had never ached so much before. I just wanted to lay down. And then I just wanted to walk around. Lay down. Walk. Nothing eased their pain, so i got in my car and drove home to a much deserved ice bath. For all those who are afraid of ice baths, i'm telling you, once you get past the initial shock, they are wonderful. absolutely wonderful. in a weird, calming way.
22 miles.....3:42. I'm feeling very confident about my 4:30 marathon goal.

And.....I SURPASSED MY FUNDRAISING GOAL!!!!! Thank everyone SO much for their generosity. My family, friends, co-workers, strangers who just think I'm cool......without you all, this wouldn't be possible.

2 comments:

Ben, aka BadBen said...

Great job! You are mentally and physically ready to go.

Josh Dysart said...

Awesome! Though, have you stopped running yet?