Saturday, July 21, 2007

Blogless in Seattle

I was out running this morning and figured it's long past time that i get around to posting a blog.  Obviously it's been too long when i have trouble remembering my password to log on here.  But i can't go much longer without blogging, b/c i have people out there who are trying to track my every move, and it's hard for them to do that when i don't give them any indication of what i'm up to. 

So since i arrived out here about 2 1/2 weeks ago, here's a recap:

1. I am still jobless.  You know, being unemployed is fun for awhile, until you stop getting paychecks and have to dig into your savings.  I've had a few interviews, and have more lined up for this next week, so at least i'm being proactive and not just waiting for someone to come offer me a job (which would be awesome if things worked that way).

2.  While being jobless and pinching pennies has its disadvantages, it leaves a wide open slot for doing whatever i what, whenever it want.  Namely, going for runs whenever i so desire, instead of waking up at dawn to do so.

3.  On a related note...i heart Washington.  For many reasons.  But mostly because i can go run at high noon and not die from heat and humidity after 1/2 mile.  The weather is just great, and despite their record high temps last week (lower 90s....pish posh), it's not an unbearable heat like back in Kansas. 

4.  On the downside, it's a bit hillier here than in kansas.  You may think- 'Duh, captain obvious', but kansas is much hillier than people give it credit for.  But i'm talking 12% grade, 3/4 mile long hills here. Last week i gave myself the challenge of running up Inglewood Hill.  I started up it after running 3 miles, and had to catch my breath half way up. What was i thinking???  Not one to give up, i've made it my new goal to run up the entire hill without stopping for a breather.

Inglewood Hill link (use Internet Explorer or Firefox)

5.  Oh yeah, i did not end up doing the Seafair Half Marathon like i had planned to.  Mostly because, i didn't feel like ponying up the $75 entrance fee when i'm jobless, but also because i hadn't been able to get any good longer distance runs in over 10 miles.  I thought about doing the 5K, but that also had an entrance fee, and honestly....my ego told me that a 5K would be too easy.  That's the problem with being a long distance runner.  You convince yourself that you're too good for the shorter distances.  It's dumb, i know, and i need to get that idea out of my head.  So i'm keeping my eyes open for some 5Ks and 10Ks coming up this summer but looking ahead to November for the Seattle Marathon. 

Ok, well all that recapping made me hungry. We're heading downtown to Bite of Seattle, where a plethora of food and wine awaits. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Katie -- saw that you've linked to my blog (thank you!) and wanted to stop by to say hello.

The Seafair half is indeed quite hilly (my husband and I ran it last year), and the Seattle half is as well (are you planning on doing the half or the full? I've just run the half). Unfortunately it's at a terrible time of year; why can't they move it to mid October when the weather is nicer? :( Although I've never run it, I've heard the Portland marathon is fabulous (it's the first weekend of October).

Like you I don't run many 5K races, but I did run the Fremont on in June (lots of fun, but I went out too fast and pulled a hamstring!). The one exception is the St. Patty's Day Dash; you'll definitely have to check it out next year.

Welcome to Seattle!
Betsy, aka Eat Drink Run Woman